Middle School ESL Curriculum
|The ESL program provides extra English language support for students whose first language is not English. In this program, students will improve their English language skills in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar to enable them to become successful in the mainstream classroom, the school, and the community. In the Middle School (6-8), instruction will take place in an ESL classroom and/or through a push-in program in mainstream Language Arts classes. Educational practices used with ESL students will correlate with approaches used in mainstream classes with adaptations and modifications made by the mainstream teacher and the ESL teacher.
- Initial literacy
- Assistance with major Language Arts instruction
- Introduction to academic concepts
- Promoting academic and social language development by integrating writing, reading, listening and speaking skills in the program
Skills and Understandings:
- To develop competency in comprehending oral and written English and in speaking and writing English
- To develop learning strategies
- To integrate language, cognitive, and academic instruction to enable students to develop English language proficiency and content area skills
This course upholds the KAS mission statement by:
- Allowing the 21st century students to become international citizens with the ability to work with diverse people from all over the globe.
- Allowing students to develop a positive self-image through collaborative group work and self-reflection.
- Providing international experiences for our students, acclimate and educate students from other nations, and educate students on cultural differences and competencies.